As with years past, I’m setting some goals for myself for 2013. I want to refocus my attention on my family and my writing, and to eliminate distractions.
So, here we are:
- Jacob. As with every other year I’ve done this, Jacob is my top priority. This year, I want to focus on finding activities that match up with Jake’s interests that we can do together, as well as finding opportunities for Jake to develop a sense of leadership.
- Write every weekend (or as close to every weekend as possible). Yeah, this didn’t happen in 2012, but it did in 2011. It was a good feeling, being creatively productive, and I want to get back there.
- Send 2 submissions a month. I published pretty much nothing in 2012, and I want to get back in the game.
- Revamp/revise/recreate the manuscript. I still see value in the work I’ve done over the past few years, and I’m not ready to give up yet.
- Complete NaPoMo. This is always a great challenge for me, and I’m ready to be challenged again.
- Research and apply for 2-3 fellowships/workshops/residencies in 2013. The 2010 workshop I took at the Mailer Colony was awesome. I want that catalyst again. Right now I’m looking at the NJ State Council on the Arts fellowships. We’ll see what else comes up.
- Read at least 26 books in 2013, using the 2013 Reading Plan. I want to stop watching so much tv. As I wrapped up school, it became a way to decompress. But now that school is over, I’m still spending too much time with the remote control in hand. I’m hoping to blog each book that I read, and hopefully begin to develop some reviewing skills.
- Use kickboxing, krav, running to lose 40 pounds. I lost a good 30 pounds in 2012, but the past few months have seen the numbers on the scale creep back up. I am going to recommit to a schedule of classes at the karate school, to running 2-3 times a week, and to healthier eating. By December 31, 2013, I want the scale to show that I am 40 pounds lighter than I am today.
- Run 2-3 5Ks in 2013. I’ll do the Gobbler Run again after Thanksgiving, but I need to find at least 1 more (maybe 2) to complete during the year.
- Camp once a month between April and October. I did not camp at all during 2012, and I missed it terribly. This will definitely change in 2013.
- Spend time hiking/geocaching at least once a month for the entire year. Again, I think I did almost no hiking or caching in 2012.
- Master this beginner quilting tutorial. So I’m halfway through my first quilt, and I’m enjoying it so much. I want to get better at it, so I intend to make a few more quilts this year to practice.
- Focus on photography. A few times in the past couple years, my dear friend Karen and I took some short trips to fun places like Batsto to take pictures. This year, I want to make that a priority, too – maybe once a month, and I’d like to investigate having some photographs published/exhibited. We’ll see about that.
A longer list this year. But I’m hoping that, now that school is done, I can begin to fill the time I spent on homework with worthwhile activities again.
Bring it on, 2013.