Despite the way it felt, this year was actually a pretty good year for me. Check this out:
- I finalized a divorce, during which time my ex and I managed not to kill each other.
- I maintained an apartment for more than a year without undergoing financial ruin.
- I was accepted to Rutgers so I can get my shit together, finally.
- I came out, to a mostly supportive audience.
- I didn’t lose any friends this year, I made a few new ones, and I reconnected with two I hadn’t spoken to in years.
- I learned how to navigate New York City alone without hyperventilating.
- I was nominated for two Pushcart Prizes, from US1 Worksheets and from Shit Creek Review.
- I had eight poems accepted for publication by various journals in 2007, more than any other year to date.
- My chapbook was accepted for publication by Finishing Line Press.
- I was nominated for a Best of the Net award by Thick With Conviction.
- There was that whole Skin Radio thing, where my poems ended up on the radio and I got to participate in their live Slam and Jam night.
And, best of all, Jacob told me he thinks I’m the prettiest, best mom in the universe.
Not too shabby.